ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
4:00 p.m. Thursday, December 16, 2010
(If Board Members cannot attend, please notify the Library Office)
CALL TO ORDER:
AUTHORIZATION OF BILLS:
- List of bills for December 2010.
2. Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting November 18, 2010.
3. Minutes. Minutes of Policies & Personnel Committee Meeting December 6, 2010.
INFORMATION ITEMS/DIRECTOR’S REPORT:
5. Winnefox Computer Upgrade.
6. Food for Fines 2010.
7. New Board Member.
8. Endowment Donations.
9. Library Legislative Day.
10. Committee Appointment.
11. Winnefox Board.
12. 2011 Budget.
13. Furlough Dates.
Adjourn into closed executive session pursuant to WI Statute 19.85(1)(c) for the purpose of considering promotion, compensation or performance evaluation of employees.
14. Director’s Evaluation and Pay Rate for 2011.
Adjourn closed session and reconvene in open session.
UPCOMING MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
(Including requests for business items for future meetings)
· Library Closed for Christmas Weekend: Dec 24-26
· Library Closed for New Years Day
· Library Board Meeting – January 20 at 4:00 pm
· Library Legislative Day – February 22nd in Madison
Menasha aldermen may attend meetings of this body. A quorum of the Common Council, Board of Public Works, Administration Committee, or Personnel Committee may attend this meeting. No official action of any of those bodies will be taken.
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIRECTOR’S REPORT – December 2010
1. Bills. REQUESTED ACTION: Approval of bills as presented for December 2010.
2. Minutes. Minutes of Board meeting November 18, 2010. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve minutes of meeting.
3. Minutes. Minutes of Policies & Personnel Committee meeting December 6, 2010. REQUESTED ACTION: Accept minutes of meeting.
4. Statistics. Our adult statistics are back in the positive, with a 3.2% increase overall. In Children’s we still saw a decrease of 10.6%, for a total decrease of 3.1% overall. When we set goals for the Children’s Department for 2011, we will specifically target changes and endeavors that will promote use of the collections. Self-check continues to see good usage with 41% of our check outs done on self-checks in November.
5. Winnefox Computer Upgrade. The circulation system was down for a scheduled update from December 7-8. It had been expected to be down the 9th as well, but the project was completed early. Because self-checks were unable to be used during those days, we may see a shift in our percentage of checkouts done on self check in December. During the upgrade, we were able to use a standalone system for checkout that stored and then updated the system with check out data when it was brought back up. The challenge whenever the system is down is check ins which we had to allow to sit for a day and a half. Thanks to our Circulation Department for taking on the challenge.
6. Food for Fines 2010. We had another successful Food for Fines effort in November before Thanksgiving. We took in a total of $982.39 that was paid off in canned goods. This year we donated the food to St. Joseph’s Food Pantry.
7. New Board Member. The mayor and I met with a prospective board member in early December. His name is Patrick Murray, and he will be joining us as a new board member for our January meeting after City Council approval.
8. Endowment Donations. During the month of November, we received $395 in donations to the library. Three significant donations were $100 from the American Legion for meeting room use, $100 from Apple Knitter’s Guild for knitting books, and a general donation of $100 from the Charboneaus.
9. Library Legislative Day. Library Legislative Day on February 22nd gives librarians and library advocates a chance to meet with state legislators and inform them of the importance of libraries in the state. This year is going to be particularly important as a budget year where cuts are going to have to be made. It is our opportunity to advocate for continued funding for library systems, school libraries, and the maintenance of local funding. I would encourage any of you who are available to attend. If we have enough interest, I’d be happy to set up a carpool. We get briefed on the issues that are on the WLA Legislative Agenda in an early meeting and then head out to meet with our individual legislators.
10. Committee Appointment. With Sue Werley returning to the library board, we will need to have her appointed to a committee. Her talents were greatly appreciated on the Policies and Personnel Committee, so I would recommend that she be appointed to that committee. REQUESTED ACTION: President appoints Sue Werley to Policies and Personnel Committee.
11. Winnefox Board. I have heard from Joyce Schoepel, one of our Winnefox Board representatives, that she does not plan to ask to reappointment to the Winnefox Board. Our library has the opportunity to offer suggestions for the appointment to the Winnefox Board. With the ongoing concerns about Winnefox, I am hoping that there is a board member interested in serving on the Winnefox Board. They meet bimonthly, and the meetings are usually at Oshkosh Public Library but each year they also travel to other member libraries for their meetings as well. REQUESTED ACTION: Recommendation to Winnefox for new appointment to Winnefox Board.
12. 2011 Budget. In your packet, you will find a budget that has a 1% increase for staff and no furloughs. The 1% you see in the budget is the 1% employees will receive on December 31, 2010. In talking recently with City HR, I learned that city employees are being held to that lift. Additionally, city non-reps will be being furloughed, though no specific plan, dates or number of days has been decided yet. My recommendation is that we move ahead with the 1% on December 31, 2010 and no furloughs. The loss in the Materials Budget Line should be able to be at least partially made up with roll-over funds from this year. This allows us to continue to serve our community the best we can without closing on any days and keeps furloughs on the table for 2012 in case they are needed at that point. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve 2011 library budget.
13. Furlough Dates. I have kept this on the agenda, in case the Board decided to implement furloughs in the 2011 budget. It allows us to discuss the schedule this month rather than postponing it until January 2011.
14. Director’s Evaluation and Pay Rate for 2011. I ask that my pay increase be no more than the lift given to my staff. If the staff is furloughed, I would expect to be furloughed for the same number of days as well. REQUESTED ACTION: Approve director’s pay rate for 2011.