Minutes of Regular Meeting
ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library Gegan Room
October 16, 2014
Call to order at 4:00pm by President Murray
Present: Crawmer, Eisen, Golz, Kiley, Murray, VanderHeyden, Wicihowski and Kaminski
Also Present: Director Lenz, K. Beson (Head of Children’s Services), J. Bongers (Head of Adult Services) and K. Dreyer (Administrative Assistant)
• We received a letter from the Menasha Corporation declining our request to fund the mother’s room.
• We received a letter from Young, Schuster and Maslowski Attorneys at Law informing us that one of the heirs is disputing the named executor in the estate of Marsha Swilley. This will cause a delay in the settlement of the estate.
Motion made by Eisen to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from September 18, 2014 regular meeting, October 2, 2014 special meeting and Fundraising Committee meeting on September 18, 2014 and October 2, 2014, seconded by Kiley. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Golz asked about the bill from Griesbach Ready Mix. It was for concrete to repair the driveway apron.
Motion made by Crawmer to authorize payment of the October list of bills from the 2014 budget as presented, seconded by Golz. Motion carried unanimously.
Director’s Report/Information Items
1. September Statistics. Circulation was down 3.9%. Digital circ is usually up but was down 10.7%. Program attendance and meeting room use is up.
2. Budget Update. The budget is 71% spent and about 75% of the year has passed.
3. Endowment Report. This week, we should receive the distribution check from the Memorial Trust Funds from the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region that was approved at last month’s meeting.
4. Staff Reports. Lenz provided a list of what volunteer opportunities staff is involved with in our community.
5. Strategic Plan Update. There are no changes from last month.
6. Fundraising Committee Report. The committee will be meeting today to see where we are at in terms of ticket sales and literary baskets. Local celebrities such as the Mayor Merkes, Penny Bernard Shaber, Chris VanderHeyden and Menasha Alderpersons will be ladling chili.
7. 2014 Budget Adjustment. Since the building repair budget line item in this year’s budget will not be used for an expansion tank, it was suggested using it for a humidity control system to protect our collection and paper from humidity and mold. Brain Haessly obtained a quote from Energy Control and Design for $3,815. Motion made by Eisen to proceed in installing the humidity control system in the library as recommended by Lenz, seconded by Wicihowski. Motion carried unanimously.
8. 2014 Budget Adjustment: WALS Fund (Technology Fund). Lenz is recommending that we transfer $5,000 to our WALS account with Winnefox by overspending line 25-01 line for technology – software and hardware. Twenty-one of the library’s staff computers are more than five years old, and we are running Windows XP, which is no longer being supported and is a security risk. Winnefox receives a price break on technology for the quantity they purchase, and they will bill that account for board approval as purchases are made. Motion made by VanderHeyden to transfer $5,000 into the WALS account for technology, seconded by Golz. Motion carried unanimously.
9. 2015 Budget. The budget was submitted to the City’s Finance Department. Slight changes were made after using the payroll system to better predict wages/salaries and include the mayor’s recommended cost of living adjustment as well as the library’s share of the 2015 IT budget. A budget meeting date has not yet been determined.
10. Review of Trustee Essentials: Chapter 21. Wicihowski summarized this chapter, which focuses on The Library Board and Accessible Services to the community. Next month, Crawmer will review Chapter 22.
Motion to adjourn the meeting at 4:35pm was made by Wicihowski and seconded by Golz. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, recording secretary