ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Gegan Board Room
April 25, 2018
Called to order at 4:00pm by Chairman Englebert
Present: Chairman Englebert, Trustee Franzoi (arrived at 4:06pm), Vice Chairman Golz, Trustee Halverson, Trustee Schwerbel, Trustee Witt and Teen Representative Genz
Absent: Ad Hoc Trustee Hermans, Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden and Secretary Wicihowski
Also Present: Menasha Alderman Ted Grade, Director Lenz, Adult Services Supervisor Bongers, Young Adult & Media Librarian Moore-Nokes and Administrative Assistant Dreyer
Public Comment/Communication: None
Motion made by Halverson, seconded by Witt, to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from March 28, 2018. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Motion made by Golz, seconded by Witt to authorize payment of the April 2018 bills as presented from the 2018 budget, endowment fund and WALS Technology Account. Motion carried unanimously.
1. March Statistics.
So far this year, circulation of physical materials is up 1.8%, circulation of digital materials is up 29.3%; combined they average an increase of 3.6%. Meeting room use is up 22.5%, reference/informational assistance is up 10%, children’s circulation is down 3.8%, and program attendance is down 11.2%.
2. Budget Status.
Trustees reviewed the 2018 budgets’ status. A retirement line item was added separating those funds out of wages.
3. Staff Reports.
· Librarian Moore-Nokes explained that we purchased one of the LEGO Mindstorm sets (for ages 12-16) and two LEGO Boosts (for ages 7-11) from the donation from Franzoi. Kids can check them out to use in the library and teachers can check them out for classroom use. We will market these to teachers and as a summer project.
· Samples of our marketing materials for Gale Courses were distributed. It was suggested to distribute these materials to retailers on Main Street.
· There were 3,200-3,300 attendees at the Fox Cities Reads presentations by Ruta Sepetys.
· There were 970 attendees at the MoneySmart Free Day at The Building for Kids Children’s Museum. During MoneySmart Week, there are workshops held for adults and scholarships given to high school seniors.
· David Galassie will be at the library on Sunday, April 29, to talk about his book Neenah and Menasha: Twin Cities of the Fox Valley.
· Books in English and Spanish have been purchased to distribute to the students Banta Elementary School before the end of the school year. The books will have a bookmark inside them telling students to come to the library for a coupon for a Dilly Bar at the Neenah Dairy Queen.
· We plan to take the book bike to the elementary schools before school lets out.
· The Children’s staff will visit all the elementary schools to invite children to sign up for the Summer Reading Program. A Children’s staff member attended the Kidz Expo event on Saturday, April 14.
· Deputy Director Alix is still working with Kone on invoices for elevator repairs from the beginning of the year.
· Trustees reviewed the Library Year schedule.
· Signup for the summer reading program begins May 1; the program begins June 11.
· The library will have a float and the book bike in the Menasha Neenah Memorial Day Parade. Trustees were invited to pass out bookmarks and candy.
· Franzoi’s term is up at the end of this month, and he has agreed to serve another 3-year term.
· Trustees requested and received a report on the anticipated cost associated with the retirement payout to the employee planning to retire in August.
· The Governance Committee will meet May 10 to discuss new trustees, officers for the next term, and the strategic planning process.
4. County Reimbursement Requests
Assistant Library System Director of Winnefox Mark Arend ran the calculations for our reimbursement requests for county funding in 2019. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Witt to approve requesting Calumet County to fund $99,772 of next year’s library budget and Winnebago County $450,651, which included $390,063 for operational expenses and $60,588 for facilities expenses. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion to adjourn made at 4:54pm by Franzoi, seconded by Golz. Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Kathy Dreyer, recording Secretary