ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Gegan Board Room
July 25, 2018
Called to order at 4:00pm by Vice Chairman Golz
Present: Vice Chairman Golz, Trustee Franzoi, Ad Hoc Trustee Hermans, Trustee Schwerbel and Trustee Witt
Absent: Chairman Englebert, Teen Representative Genz, Secretary Halverson, Trustee Turner and Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden
Also Present: Carrie Lane, Director Lenz, Children’s Services Supervisor Beson and Business Manager Assistant Dreyer
Public Comment/Communication: None
Motion made by Witt, seconded by Franzoi to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from June 27, 2018, and accept the Marketing & Resource Development minutes of July 10, 2018, and the Governance Committee minutes of July 13, 2018. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Trustees would like to invite City of Menasha Administrative Services Director John Jacobs to our next meeting to update them on library budget obligations for retirement benefits. Motion made by Schwerbel, seconded by Witt, to authorize payment of the July 2018 bills as presented from the 2018 budget, endowment and WALS fund. Motion carried unanimously.
1. June Statistics.
So far this year, adult circulation is up 1.2%, young adult circulation is up 8.7% and children’s circulation is down 3.1%. Overall, physical circulation is about the same as last year, digital circulation is up 31.5% which puts circulation at 1.6% ahead of last year. Meeting room use is up 13.9% and program attendance is down 7%. Trustees would like to see a 3-year breakout of children’s materials and how much of the budget is allocated to each format.
2. Budget Status.
Trustees reviewed the 2018 budget status.
3. Endowment Report.
Trustees reviewed the 2018 year-to-date endowment report. Golz will talk to the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley Region, Inc. as to why our fees are exceeding earnings.
4. Staff Reports.
· Trustees reviewed the WALS Technology Fund.
· On July 23, Na‘imah Ali started as the half-time Children’s Clerk.
· We will be interviewing for the Library Assistant position on Friday and next Tuesday.
· There are 137 adults, 122 teens and 798 children signed up for the Summer Reading Program.
· On Saturday, June 30, the library stayed open until 5:00pm (4 hours longer) at the request of the Health Department as a cooling site. About 150 more people came into the library after 1:00pm and some stayed from the morning. The cost to stay open was covered by a grant that the Health Department received.
· We are making changes to our copy machines in order to save money.
· We have received this year’s disbursement from the Community Foundation. The Finance and Investment Committee should meet soon to allocate these funds.
· At the direction of trustees Lenz will contact City Attorney Captain about Ad Hoc Trustee Hermans being a voting trustee through corporate title since she represents Faith Technologies, a corporation in Menasha.
· Trustees suggested adding “open action items” to the agenda.
5. Library Board Regular Meeting Day/Time for 2018-2019
Lenz will send out a Doodle poll with three options of meeting days.
6. Request from Staff Member for Out of State Travel
Young Adult & Media Librarian Moore-Nokes is requesting to attend this year’s Young Adult Library services Association (YALSA) conference in Salt Lake City in November. The cost would be about $1,625. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Schwerbel to approve sending Moore-Nokes to the YALSA conference in November as per his request. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Governance Policy Update
This policy has been updated to reflect decisions made over the past year by the Governance Committee. Policy changes must be reviewed twice by the board; this is the first time for this document.
8. Strategic Plan
In addition to last year’s patron survey, library staff have been discussing goals for the library for the next five years at two staff lunch meetings. Chairman Englebert appointed Halverson chair of an ad hoc planning committee. They will meet to develop a timeline for a committee to gather more information and create a new strategic plan this fall.
Motion to adjourn made at 4:49pm by Witt, seconded by Franzoi. Motion carried unanimously.
Respectfully submitted by Kathy Dreyer, recording Secretary