ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Gegan Board Room
February 27, 2018
Called to order at 4:02pm by Chairman Englebert
Present: Chairman Englebert, Vice Chairman Golz, Secretary Halverson, Ad Hoc Trustee Hermans, Trustee Lane, Trustee Schwerbel, Trustee Witt, Trustee Turner (arrived at 4:03pm), Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden, Trustee Franzoi (arrived at 4:04pm), and Teen Representative Genz (arrived at 4:05pm)
Also Present: Director Lenz, Children Services Supervisor Beson, Support Services Brandt and Business Manager Dreyer
Motion made by VanderHeyden, seconded by Golz to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from February 6, 2019, and accept the Ad Hoc Strategic Planning minutes from February 6, 13, and 18, 2019. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Motion made by Golz, seconded by Franzoi to authorize payment of the December 2018(3) bills from the 2018 budget, the February 2019 from the 2019 budget, endowment, and WALS fund. Motion carried unanimously.
1. January Statistics.
The circulation statistics comparison (1998-2018) and January 2019 statistics were reviewed. Digital circulation for January was 4.8% higher than last year but physical circulation was down. The weather has not been good.
2. 2018 and 2019 Budget Status.
Trustees reviewed the 2018 and 2019 budget status. A check has been issued but not sent to Kone (elevator) for invoices from 2018. The city attorney is now talking with Kone’s attorney. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Halverson to hold the check until the matter with Kone has been satisfactorily handled. Motion carried unanimously.
PW Deputy Director Alix is in the process of getting a second opinion on the compressor.
3. Staff/Trustee Reports.
· The library was closed on January 28 and February 12 due to snowstorms. It was open when the wind chills dropped to dangerous levels and acting as a warming shelter at the request of the Menasha Health Department.
· We have begun re-upholstering chairs, refurbishing/getting new wooden chairs and looking into new office chairs.
· Adult Services Supervisor Joe Bongers requested approval to travel to this year’s American Library Association Conference in Washington, DC from June 20 – 25. Motion made by Schwerbel, seconded by Witt to approve up to $3,000 for Joe Bongers to attend the American Library Association Conference as per his request. Motion carried unanimously.
· Director Lenz and the supervisors are recommending McKenzie Brandt as 2019 Library Volunteer of the Year. McKenzie has been volunteering in circulation every Friday beginning in 2012. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Schwerbel to approve McKenzie as our Volunteer of the Year. Motion carried unanimously.
· The WAPL Conference is being held at the Holiday Inn & Suites in Rothschild May 2 & 3. Lenz will email the agenda when it becomes available.
· The 2018 Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Public Library Annual Report was reviewed. Motion made by VanderHeyden, seconded by Franzoi to approve the 2018 Annual Report with a “yes” to the question regarding system effectiveness. Motion carried unanimously.
Beson left the meeting at 4:30pm.
2019-2023 Strategic Plan
Planning Committee Chairman Halverson led trustees in a refinement of goals, mission, vision, and values. The draft will be presented to library staff members for their input during two lunch meetings in March, and a plan will be presented at the next board meeting for approval.
Motion to adjourn made at 5:45pm by Golz, seconded by Englebert. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary