ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Gegan Board Room
February 25, 2020
Called to order at 4:30pm by Chair Englebert
Present: Chairman Englebert, Vice Chairman Golz, Secretary Halverson, Trustee Lane (via teleconference), Trustee Schwerbel, Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden, Trustee Witt and Teen Rep White
Excused: Trustee Franzoi, Trustee Turner, [Ad hoc Trustee Hermans has resigned.]
Also Present: Director Lenz, Support Services Supervisor Brandt and Business Manager Dreyer
Lenz introduced Victor Flores, the library’s new Outreach Specialist.
Motion made by Golz, seconded by Halverson to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from January 28, 2020. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Motion made by VanderHeyden, seconded by Golz to authorize payment of the February list of bills from the 2020 budget, endowment fund and WALS technology fund. Motion carried unanimously.
Committee Report: Building & Grounds Committee
Schwerbel reported on the progress of developing a comprehensive facilities plan. Motion made by Schwerbel, seconded by Halverson to authorize spending up to $5,000 for trustees and the director to visit libraries which includes a fee to a library design firm. Motion carried unanimously.
Schwerbel left the meeting at 4:52pm.
2019 Budget Status
The end of year budget status was reviewed. There will be $20,000 remaining for retirement benefits in 2020 (100-0601-551.10-01) and approximately $3,555 remaining for management (100-0601-551.21-06) to be used toward development of the facilities plan.
2020 Budget Status
The 2020 budget status was reviewed. Capital expenditures included a completed software upgrade to the self-checkout machines.
- The door count and meeting room use was up significantly at the start of this year. Program attendance and circulation were down.
- The 2019 End of the Year Report and Winter Reading Program Report prepared by Children’s Supervisor Kathy Beson was reviewed.
- The library received a $1,000 grant from Winnefox toward equipment to be used for equipment to allow videotaping library programs in the Company E Room.
- Victor Flores, Outreach Specialist, and Betsy Wojcik, Library Assistant started on Monday, February 24. We will begin interviewing candidates for Adult Services Supervisor on Monday, March 2.
- The 2019 Public Library Annual Report was reviewed. Motion made by Halverson, seconded by VanderHeyden stating that the library system did provide effective leadership and adequately meet the needs of the library. Motion carried unanimously.
- As requested, a proposal for going fine free was reviewed. Since this is a policy decision, this material and revisions to the Library Patron Policies will be voted on at our March 24 meeting.
Motion to adjourn made at 5:23pm by Halverson, seconded by Witt. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary