ELISHA D. SMITH PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
Via GoToMeeting and the Company E Room
June 23, 2020
Called to order at 4:31pm by Chair Englebert
Present: Chairman Englebert (via GoToMeeting), Vice Chairman Golz (at the library), Secretary Halverson (via GoToMeeting), Trustee Franzoi (via GoToMeeting), Trustee Lane (at the library), Trustee Schwerbel (at the library), Trustee Turner (at 4:45pm via GoToMeeting), Superintendent of Schools VanderHeyden (at 4:33pm via GoToMeeting), Trustee Witt (at 4:34pm via GoToMeeting) and Teen Rep White (via GoToMeeting).
Also Present: Director Lenz (at the library), Support Services Supervisor Brandt (via GoToMeeting) Adult Services Supervisor Raschke (at the library) and Business Manager Dreyer (at the library).
Motion made by Golz, seconded by Lane to approve the Library Board meeting minutes from May 26, 2020. Motion carried unanimously.
Authorization of Bills
Motion made by Halverson, seconded by Franzoi to authorize payment of the June 2020 list of bills from the 2020 budget and endowment fund. Motion carried unanimously.
The IMLS CARE’s grant application was submitted. We requested $150,000 which would be used to fund the consultant fee, clerical staff time to facilitate consultant meetings and research, and architectural fees to develop a rendering that could be used for fundraising.
The library remained closed to the public during the month of May due to the coronavirus pandemic. Statistics reflect circulation from drive-up service, virtual programs, telephone reference service and Wi-Fi service in the library’s parking lot. Digital circulation was up 33.6%.
2020 Budget Status
Trustees reviewed the 2020 budget status. We are spending more on online services. We are currently reviewing the capital improvement budget for 2021 and in August we will start putting together the operating budget.
Lenz provided a list of closing dates for 2021. Motion made by Franzoi, seconded by Golz to approve the list of closing dates for 2021. Motion carried unanimously.
- We have been working with Menasha’s Health Department to review the gating criteria for reopening the library to the public. We have opened the library up for up to 5 people to use the computers, fax machine, copy machine, notary public service and proctoring by appointment or if someone expresses the need for these services at the drive-up service.
- The library received a $2,500 grant from Menasha Corporation Foundation to purchase books to give away at the MJSD meal sites that do not take place at schools.
- Support Services staff continue to improve procedures for drive-up service. We are processing about 600 items per day. Patrons are very appreciative of the services we are providing.
- Children’s Services staff have been recording story sparklers story times, bilingual story times, STEM story times, DIY craft story times, baby story times and yoga story times for broadcast on Facebook. They are also recording performer’s for Facebook and for viewing on the library’s website.
- Adult Services staff have installed new software to help patrons on computers from a distance, started homebound delivery service, recorded programs to be viewed on Facebook and the library’s website, prepared crafts for teens to pick up weekly during the summer and are working on a plan for a summer used book sale during in July and August. A half time Adult Services Librarian resigned. This position is currently posted.
- We have a total of 586 people signed up for the summer reading program (269 birth – 5th grade and 317 teens/adults).
- Winnefox updated the library website so that it is more responsive to screen size, particularly phones.
Motion to adjourn made at 4:54pm by Golz, seconded by Halverson. Motion carried unanimously.
Kathy Dreyer, Recording Secretary